Do you often feel stressed out, tired, anxious, sad, or angry? Is there a dooming sense of not enough time in a day? Do you worry about your grades or may be relationship with a roommate? Or is it test anxiety that takes the best out of you?
No matter where your stress is coming from, you are not alone. Come to the Stress Management Clinic, a Student Counseling Center sponsored program designed to address students’ difficulties related to stress. Its purpose is to improve and promote the well-being of UT students through services focused on development of stress management and general coping skills.
With your knowledge of yourself and our expertise in stress management and reduction, we can put our heads together to work on the complicated puzzle of your well-being.
Our website provides you with the wealth of information about a variety of our services and ways to access them.
Clinic services are available during Counseling Center business hours, Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Let your therapist know that you are interested in the Stress Management Clinic, and they will help you get connected.
Individual Wellness Appointments
We offer consultations and personal sessions in the use of biofeedback. Our biofeedback sessions incorporate an easy-to-use software program and heart rhythm monitor. It has been designed to help people learn how to reduce stress and anxiety and improve health and well-being. This software assists people in achieving a state of psychophysiological coherence, or equilibrium. Research shows that this state is associated with multiple health benefits, including increased ability to combat stress, reduced anxiety, improved attention and cognitive processing, pain reduction, improved functioning of the immune system, etc.
You can meet with the stress management coach and get more information about biofeedback and its use, as well as training on how to use it. After you get trained in the use of the biofeedback system, you will be able to work with it on your own.
Individual Wellness Appointments
Individual wellness appointments are 15-30 minute long one-on-one meetings with a wellness coach. They focus on development and implementation of an intervention plan addressing sources of stress, stress-related symptoms, and coping skills. Need for the individual appointments will be assessed and discussed during stress management clinic intake.
We collected a variety of helpful resources related to different ways to manage stress and its aftermath. You can listen to relaxation tapes, read about interesting exercises and ideas, or just enjoy beautiful and relaxing pictures.
- Test Anxiety
- Top Ten Strategies for Wildly Effective Stress Management
- Test Anxiety – “I Know The Material, But When I Take The Test I Go Blank!” from Kansas State University
- Stress Management – from Villanova University
- Public Speaking Anxiety – from University of Mary Washington
Online Relaxation Exercises
- Online Relaxation Exercises from University of Tennesssee
Track 1 – Introduction
Track 2 – Deep Breathing
Track 3 – Safe Place
Track 4- Mindfulness Meditation
- Online Relaxation Exercises – from Georgia Southern
- Online Stress Management Workshop – from Georgia Southern
- Relaxation Audio Sessions – from University of North Carolina
- Samples of Relaxation Training Exercises – from Kansas State University
- Videos – Overcoming a Panic Attack, Belly Breathing, Symptoms of Stress, and Relaxation Meditation by the Mayo Clinic – from Western Washington University