Intern Support Group/Peer Consultation
Interns schedule one hour per week to form their own self-led support group to process their internship experiences throughout the year. This time is scheduled around a lunch in order to have up to two hours to meet each week.
Division of Student Life Meetings
The Division of Student Life schedules a professional staff development breakfast a few times per year. These gatherings provide an opportunity for interns to hear pertinent issues discussed, as well as to develop cross-departmental professional relationships.
Release time is available for interns to attend workshops and conferences. Some funding also may be available.
General Staff Meeting
All senior staff psychologists and interns attend this weekly meeting designed to better communicate items of interest or concern related to the Student Counseling Center.
Meeting with Training Director
The Training Director meets individually with the interns on a regular basis to assess how the internship training is meeting the interns’ needs and to solicit feedback about the training program. The Training Director keeps an open door policy and interns are encouraged to meet informally and/or request additional meetings to focus on training concerns.
Case Management/Supervision Preparation
Time is provided for other activities such as case management, which includes time to complete paperwork, case notes, review therapy sessions, and complete readings.
Individualized Training Experience (ITE)
During the year, interns have the option of individualizing their training experience in the form of an Individualized Training Experience (ITE). This option provides interns with greater flexibility in tailoring their internship experience to meet their unique interests and needs.
- Tracks are optional. If no track is chosen, the intern will pursue generalist training
- Secondary Supervisors often serve as track leaders. Tracks will be supervised mainly during the hour of secondary supervision, depending on the nature of the selected ITE
- Time allotment: 5 -6 hrs/wk. Some activities may be folded into current requirements without dramatically increasing number of hours worked – e.g. seeing specific client issues in case load; working on track during no-show apt times, etc.)
- The details of the ITE are negotiated with the intern and members of the training staff.
The following ITEs are currently offered for 2015-2016:
- Training & Supervision Track: Internship Focus
- Training & Supervision Track: Practicum Focus
- Counseling Center Administration Track
- Stress Management Services Track
- Group Therapy Track