The University, and the Student Counseling Center, have worked hard to keep the students and staff safe through this global pandemic. Please understand that university solutions and changes can be fluid. The university’s main resource for information is utk.edu/coronavirus or call 865-656-SAFE (7233).
The Student Counseling Center offers individual therapy in person and by telehealth. Our groups will remain on telehealth until we can safely gather for long periods of time in close proximity. In the Student Health Center building, we will be wearing masks and will continue distancing until otherwise advised by OSHA and the CDC.
Please review our handout on Coping with COVID-19.
Interested in an appointment? Call us!
New requests for counseling:
- If you will be in the state of Tennessee for most or all of the semester, please call the office (865-974-2196) and ask for a brief assessment appointment.
- We will schedule this telehealth consultation as soon as possible (HIPAA compliant Zoom or phone). The brief assessment helps us understand what your needs are and if our services are right for your needs.
- If you are in TN, we can schedule either in person or by telehealth.
- If you will not be residing in the state of Tennessee for the semester, please seek a service closer to home—this is because most clinicians are only licensed to practice in the state where they live. If you need help using your insurance to contact a provider, please see our page on how to work with your insurance provider to receive services. Please call if you need assistance.
Regarding the Mental Health Clinic (MHC, psychiatry/ medication):
- We can only provide treatment to patients who will be residing in Tennessee.
- If you are not yet our patient, please call for a Brief Assessment appointment (as above).
- MHC will offer both in person and telehealth visits.
- For established patients, if you will have run out of medications before being seen, please call the office to request a medication refill. We ask for 48-72 hours notice for any prescription refills. Refills will be sent directly to the requested pharmacy.
Students enrolled in UHC-SR (United Health Care – Student Resources): Healthiest You offers FREE telehealth visits for medical or mental health issues. You do not need a referral. Other students may use Healthiest You for a fee. Check out Healthiest You!
Students in Crisis:
You can call us after hours, too! Call our number and the automated response will ask you to press 1 to leave a message, or 2 to speak with a counselor. This is the same as calling 974-HELP after hours. Please do NOT call this line for information about Covid-related campus operations (for that, call 965-656-SAFE). To cancel or reschedule an appointment, and just press 1 to leave a message. DO NOT press 2 to speak to a counselor — after hours counselors cannot change appointments.
UHC/Optum has an Emotional Support Help Line to any student in need regardless of insurance and is available 24/7: 1-866-342-6892.
Text TN to 741741 to chat with a crisis counselor.
Call 800-273-TALK to talk with a crisis counselor from the national Lifeline.