Dealing with our fears and questions around COVID-19 (caused by the coronavirus) can be difficult. Please understand that the university solutions and changes can be fluid, changing daily, and we will keep this page as up to date as we can. The university’s main resource for information is utk.edu/coronavirus or call 865-656-SAFE (7233).
Please review our handout on Coping with COVID-19.
As of Monday, March 16, all of our in person services are suspended until further notice. We will continue to provide mental health services to our UTK students through telemental health (telephone or video conference). We will not be holding any therapy groups via telehealth, but we are working on providing more wellness content to share with our Vols.
We are doing the same as the rest of the university – providing what services we can in a telehealth format. We are still operational!
- All of our students with counseling and psychiatry appointments on the schedule have been contacted (check your email). If you had an appointment but are not sure how to proceed, please call 865-974-2196.
New requests for counseling:
- If you have left the state of Tennessee for the rest of the semester, please seek a service closer to home. If you heed help using your insurance to contact a provider, please see our page on how to work with your insurance provider to receive services.
- If you will be in Tennessee, please call the office (865-974-2196) and ask for a Brief Assessment appointment.
- We will schedule this as a telephone consultation as soon as possible.
- In general, we will be offering problem-solving “one at a time” appointments—not ongoing traditional weekly psychotherapy sessions.
- If you are not going to be in Tennessee: We will work with you to find services in the state where you are residing. Call for an appointment
Regarding the Mental Health Clinic (MHC, psychiatry / medication):
- If you need a medication refill:. If you are well and only need a refill, please call the office or contact your pharmacy. We ask for 48-72 hours notice for any prescription refills. Refills will be sent directly to the pharmacy you indicate.
- If you are a current patient and you need to have a telehealth visit with a MHC provider, please call the office.
- At present, we are not accepting new MHC patients (medication referrals).
Students enrolled in UHC-SR (United Health Care – Student Resources): Healthiest You offers FREE telehealth visits for medical or mental health issues. Other students may use Healthiest You for a fee. Check out Healthiest You!
Students in Crisis:
After hours, you may call 855-645-3489 to be connected directly to the counselor on call for UT. This is the same as calling 974-HELP after hours. Please do NOT call this line for information about campus closings (call 965-656-SAFE).
UHC/Optum has opened an Emotional Support Help Line to any student in need regardless of insurance and is available 24/7: 1-866-342-6892.
In the event of a mental health crisis, 865-974-HELP will remain active, even if the university closes.
RELEASE OF INFORMATION
If you need us to work with another provider regarding your continued care, please FULLY complete our UT SCC Authorization for Release of Information. If you need help filling it out, please call the office at 865-974-2196. You must attach a copy of a valid photo ID (like your drivers license). When you have completed the form and have a copy of your ID, you can fax it to 865-974-7039, or save both items to a PDF and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.