Skip to content

Coordination of Care

Frequently Asked Questions

My student has been in therapy before college. How does this affect participation in Student Counseling Center services?

A history of prior therapy does not affect a student’s eligibility in any way. However, if your student is currently seeing a therapist, or has recently terminated, we strongly recommend that the student (and parents, if possible) discuss his/her therapy needs while at college with the therapist and any other professionals involved in his/her care. With appropriate permission, we would be happy to consult with his/her clinicians at home in order to explain the nature and scope of our services and to acquaint them with local service availability and referral information. This step facilitates the often challenging task of coordinating and continuing intervention for students who alternate time at home and time at the University.

The Student Counseling Center focuses on providing time-limited treatment (12 sessions per year).  If you think your student’s needs will exceed this, please consult with your insurance carrier for an appropriate off campus referral.

My student is taking psychotropic medication. Can the Student Counseling Center prescribe meds?

Our staff at the Student Counseling Center includes a psychiatrist and a psychiatric nurse practitioner.  If your student is already on psychotropic medication and you are local, we recommend you stay with your current provider.  If your student is already on medication and you are hoping to transfer his/her care here, please have a treatment summary forwarded to us if possible.

Students seeking to start medication should come to the Counseling Center during walk-in hours (or make an appointment) for further evaluation.  If your student’s therapist thinks medications might prove helpful in alleviating distressing symptoms he or she is experiencing, the therapist will recommend an evaluation by the University psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

Report an accessibility barrier