Welcome to the University of Tennessee’s Self-Help Library. Feel free to read through and/or download any of the materials you see here. Self-help materials are not meant to be a substitute for therapy but can be an excellent source of information to help individuals with mental health concerns or needs.
Thanks to all of the wonderful Counseling Centers who were so generous with their materials! Their willingness to share resources has made the development of this resource possible.
About Self-Care, Coping, and Calming
Read about college stress and useful interventions from NMU
Online Relaxation Exercises
- Online Relaxation Exercises – from Georgia Southern
- Relaxation Audio Sessions – from University of North Carolina
- Samples of Relaxation Training Exercises – from Kansas State University
- Videos – Overcoming a Panic Attack, Belly Breathing, Symptoms of Stress, and Relaxation Meditation – from Western Washington University
- Online relaxation MP3s at allaboutdepression
Alcohol & Drugs
- Check out the Interactive Body to see how alcohol effects your body
- Confidentially assess your alcohol use
- Confidentially assess your marijuana use
- Crossing Cultures – Adjusting To Your New Community – from University of Kansas
- University of Tennessee International House
- Campus Cultural Competency
Depression & Suicide
- Depression – from Half of Us (and initiative of mtvU and The Jed Foundation).
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Taking care of yourself when depressed
Body Image & Eating Disorders
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Related Disorders (ANAD)
- “Understanding Dysfunctional Relationship Patterns in Your Family”
- “When Your Parent Has a Mental Illness”
- “How to Raise a Parent While at College”
- Dysfunctional Families: Recognizing and Overcoming Their Effects – from Kansas State University
- UT Commission on LGBT People
- UT Pride Center
- PFLAG – Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) website; visit the Knoxville Chapter on Facebook!
- It Gets Better – The It Gets Better Project helps young people who are lesbian, gay, bi, or trans see how love and happiness can be a reality in their future. It’s a place where straight allies can visit and support their friends and family members.
- National Center for Transgender Equality – NCTE is dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project – The Sylvia Rivera Law Project works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.
- Building Better Relationships
- Communication with Your Partner
- Emotional Abuse
- How to Cope with a Broken Relationship
- Safety on Communal Websites
- Understanding Dysfunctional Relationship Patterns in Your Family
Sexual Assault, Stalking, & Relationship Violence
- “Sexual Assault”
- “Safety on Communal Websites”
- “For Male Survivors of Sexual Assault”
- “Emotional Abuse”
- Is Your Relationship Heading Into Dangerous Territory? – from University of Texas at Austin
- How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep – from Kansas State University
Stress & Anxiety
- “I Know The Material, But When I Take The Test I Go Blank!” from Kansas State University
- Check out this great video from a Cornell student about freshman loneliness
- Time Management Strategies for Improving Academic Performance – from Virginia Tech